Monday, August 10, 2009

Response to viewing the movie: The Future of Food

I just got done watching The Future of Food Movie and wrote the following review on Hulu.com and thought I would share it here. You can watch the movie below:



Has anyone seen Total Recall? Do we really want our food supply controlled by just a few greed mongers?


Watching this movie was very eye opening. As a consumer, we tend to want to buy as much food for the cheapest price possible. That goes for most any product. We have a history of blissful ignorance when it comes to knowing how the food or product is made as long as we "save" a few bucks. We don't want to know that we are actually voting no for our own health every time we spend our dollars to feed ourselves with this food, and voting yes for greed, & exploitation of honest, hardworking people that used to be the backbone of our society.

What we don't realize is that for us to save a few bucks every time we shop, someone somewhere has to suffer a horrible tragedy...in this case, family farmers. In the long run, as those tragedies penetrate more aspects of more people's lives, we begin to see an increased cost in other areas that we all end up paying for. The health of the people of the world should not be so easily traded for economic gain. I'd rather have my food cost 3 times more knowing that I'm supporting my community, eating well, and staying healthy than "save" a few dollars now just to spend 10 times more years later on health care fighting some horrifying disease created in a lab somewhere to grow tomatoes more efficiently. And in the process I'd have the peace of mind to know I'm not screwing over a bunch of honest hard working people far away that I'll never meet by supporting the corporations that marginalized an entire industry for profit by changing the rules in their favor.

I simply can't believe that the supreme court in Canada ruled that that farmer infringed upon Monsanto's patent! How did we get to the point where we think we can patent nature? I wonder if anyone has thought to patent air yet? Perhaps some greedy Monsanto Executive will watch Total Recall and get the brilliant idea to patent Oxygen? Then everyone on earth will be forced to pay a tax for the air they breathe. If you don't pay on time...we'll just come over to your house and fill it with a genetically engineered air terminator chemical and BAM...game over.
We need more labeling, more regulation, and more safe guards in place in general for all things it seems nowadays, from agriculture to banking just to save us from destroying ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment